Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

two pipe direct return.

ChasMan
ChasMan Member Posts: 462
One of my five zones is very unbalanced. Im thinking of converting it to two pipe. Is this a good option? Its a one pipe loop now feeding three rooms one of which gets direct sun most of the day and warms up fast. It also has the thermostat in it. I dont want to use TRV's so I was thinking I could regulate it with ball valves.

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    The damper

Have you try to regulate the air thru the emitter/baseboard?If the room is over heating the stat and making the other room on that zone cold..due to the stat being in that room with the sun,then try changing the air patteren thru the emitter.

Its not always a water problem.Its a convector and air/sun play a important role as well.

Thats why we guys that do it day in and day out demand the pay we seek.We are constantly looking past the nose on our face to see the big picture.
  • ChasMan
    Ok.

Well, to be honest, there has been no emitter in that room all winter. And no thermostat either. Its still warm in that room though because it is adjacent to two other heated zones. I’m adding as much emitter as possible as I renovate in order to lower my water temps as much as possible so there will be emitter in that room this winter. About 10 feet or 6000 BTUH for a room that doesn’t even need heat! The other two rooms on that zone do need heat. The doors are left shut most of the time and they are on the shady side of the house. I think rather than pay someone big bucks to close the dampers on my fin tube, I’ll try a bit of re-piping to make it more adjustable. Runtal has some nice nickel plated ball valves just for the purpose.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    maybe

Maybe you would be better piping it in like a homerun system with pex al pex.That way you can build a manifold back at the boiler with circuit setter and even telestat to zone everyroom.even have all your hose bibs bac at the manifold.

Just so you know ball valves are for isolation only.Globe valves are for adjusting flow.Hope this helps.
  • ChasMan
    Globe Valves

Something to think about. I have limited space and home running it would be a bit of a bear. Thanks for the heads up on the Globe valves. They should be a lot less noisy. I still have to swap my pumps for Alphas..
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Why not TRV's....

You could use 2 way TRV's with the one pipe system and make it work like a champ.

That coupled with an Alpha would give you the ultimate in comfort and control. Just remember to NOT put a TRV on the "reference" radiator that the thermostat is observing.

Probably a lot less hassle and mess than what you are looking at to repipe it.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.