Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Direct or Indirect water heater.

Tony Massi
Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
I have to replace my Bock 32E installed in 1994. Its sounds like a coffee pot. I don't know if I should replace it with another tank and keep the burner or install an indirect water heater. I first installed the Bock when I had a steel boiler since then I installed a Peerless Boiler. So I can go for either one . What would be a good indirect tank if I were to go that route?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,827
    edited March 2010
    go with an indirect

consider a water softener, at least on the cold feed to the hot, if the tank is filling up from hard water deposits. The tank will perform better and last longer if the water is softened. Plus your faucets, washer, dishwasher will all like soft water. You will use less soap and shampoo with soft water.

I like smooth coiled tanks, glass lined or stainless. The Triangle Tube tank in tank design is a great performer.

Got the option to add some solar? If so consider a dual coil indirect.

Ask around to see if stainless or glass lined steel last longer in your area. Plumbers and suppliers would know.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    go with an indirect

consider a water softener, at least on the cold feed to the hot, if the tank is filling up from hard water deposits. The tank will perform better and last longer if the water is softened. plus you faucets, washer, dishwashe will all like soft water. you will use less soap and shampoo with soft water.

I like smooth coiled tanks, glass lined or stainless. The Triangle Tube tank in tank design is a great performer.

Ask around to see if stainless or glass lined steel last longer in your area. Plumbers and suppliers would know.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    go with an indirect

consider a water softener, at least on the cold feed to the hot, if the tank is filling up from hard water deposits. The tank will perform better and last longer if the water is softened. plus you faucets, washer, dishwashe will all like soft water. you will use less soap and shampoo with soft water.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Try flushing......

....the bottom of your water heater.  It could remove some of the build-up which is causing the noise.  Unfortunately, the drain valve should be removed and replace with a 3/4" ball valve so it doesn't clog and maintains enough water volume/velocity to actually take the debris with it. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    with a high mass boiler

an indirect can run as little as 30% efficient in the summer.

why not just get another bock? boiler burner on a tank of water...
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • hot_rod
    an 18 year old

tank is on borrowed time in my opinion, will a leak cause any damage when it finally goes?

Full of sediment like that it's probably less than 40% efficient. Nothing short of a muck vac will clean it out now, once cleaned they tend to spring a leak, often times.

Depending on your HW needs a small 30- 40 gallon indirect would keep up with a small draw if you have 80,000 btu or more of boiler.

Firing the boiler once or twice a day, for DHW in the summer, is not a bad thing. An indirect will be better insulated and not have stack loss like a new fired water heater. But will cost more $$ upfront.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
This discussion has been closed.