Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carlin 41000 premature failure

Options
What are some of the causes for an igniter to fail prematurely?  I'm working on a Beckett AF burner.  Date code '94.  Everything else seems to be original and functioning correctly, but the igniter is dated Feb, 06 and is giving no spark even when control is bypassed, leading me to believe this transformer is dead.   

Comments

• EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I have....

I have seen them fail in a year I have seen them last 10 plus. Check for good grounding, proper input voltage, and good wiring connections. Also make sure that the lock washer was installed on the screw between the ignitor and the mounting plate. It also must be in the screw hole with the metal bar connected to it, this is for the ground. I usually scrape some of the paint away. Sounds like your current ignitor is bad, when you replace it do the items listed and you should have better results.  
  • shoudabeenaplumba
    shoudabeenaplumba Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Really frustrating

I don't deal with HV transformers, usually the other direction for me.    After about  dozen lockouts sprinkled over the course of three weeks, I finally got around to shaking/breaking a real problem out of it.
  • toilburn
    toilburn Member Posts: 44
    Options
    toilburn

Electronic ignitors don't last long if they are connected to a contol that keeps the ignitor on thru the entire run cycle. That being said, I found that Carlin ignitors seem to fail more often. I have switched to Becketts line of ignitors with a little better results. The best thing to do is switch control to a Honeywell 7184U or a Beckett Genysis
  • shoudabeenaplumba
    shoudabeenaplumba Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Control says intermittant

Honeywell R8184g.  I don't know if supposed shut off, but I know the head will stay lit if the igniter is lifted away.  That's what threw me, because I was getting very good spark-when I got it. I figured it was air bubbles or dirty flues or dirty filters or bad pressure or partially plugged line.  It took 2 hours sitting on a bucket reading a book to reall start to figure out what was going on.   I replaced it and haven't had a problem today.

I only have to make it 2 months.  Of course, my new burner will be a Riello so the learning will start all over again!
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I have gone back to......

.... standard ignition transformers.  I have replaced 7 electronic ignitors this year alone.  Doesn't matter if it is interupted or intermittent ignition.  The electronic versions just don't hold up.  I like service, but not silly service.

Riello has had electronic ignitors for ever and I have only replaced one in the decade.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• toilburn
    toilburn Member Posts: 44
    Options
    riello

The reason the Riello lasts is it is only on for 1 or 2 seconds at light off
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    interrupted ignition

is what will make those last. Also testing them is critical. The old screwdriver test will kill them if you dead short the srings to draw a spark. They are also not mid-point ground as the old tar ones, and need to be wired hot to hot, ground to ground.  I have seen a few failures also, but only those with intermittant ignition.  peace
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited March 2010
    Options
    interrupted ignition

reposted
This discussion has been closed.