Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just curious about atmospherics,,,,

If you install a replacement gas-atmospheric boiler with another(same),, are you under any "new requirements" regarding this?

Comments

• bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Absolutly

First thing is, Don't burn the place down! Next thing is, and this is big, don't let it kill anybody. You are welcome in advance!!
  • Do you mean

the requirements rearding low-nox boilers?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    liner

I believe most codes require that you line the chimbley with a flue liner, should also be insulated somehow to stop condensation
  • What I meant was,,,,

Up here,, we are required to request a separate room be framed within the basement, housing only this boiler, with separate combustion-air(understandable), and THIS room must be fire-code drywalled & crack filled.

Anyone else have these kind of rules? 
  • LilJoe
    LilJoe Member Posts: 4
    Seems like

"Up here" the TSSA is trying to get us to stop using draft hood appliances. If you factor in the cost of closing in a room, might as well go direct vent, eh Dave? ;)
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    Like with like no requirements

aside from confirming the chimney is in working order. This often means a liner but we are not require to build rooms or any other thing.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    The point...

I believe is to provide, Fresh,Clean,and dry air to the boiler. I feel better already!

Over here, West of the land of the Canuck, It's just no more gas burning stuff in crawl spaces. Then comes the legal on a crawl space, or is it a basement??

The games were great and Vancouver is doing very well, eh!!
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Gas Code

In Canada, as soon as you replace a gas appliance, you must meet ALL the requirements of the latest National Gas Code. The 2010 B149 is out now. There have been many changes made to this code. You can purchase the new code at the CSA website www.csa.org

Henry
  • Nick W
    Nick W Member Posts: 200
    Wrong web site.

The CSA site is at www.csa.ca
  • Unknown
    edited March 2010
    Never the less it IS a Canadian code,,,

but does anyone think this is going to extremes?

bill- I am not talking a crawlspace, a full 8` basement.

If the chimney is in(or rectified with a liner),, and proper draft, combustion-air, is in order, what will this prove? If a customer cannot afford the expense of a mod-con,, this will force them to do so,,, is that right?

The TSSA is famous for making-up rules(for now), then rescinding them 3-6 months later,,, then the customer "thinks" we cheated them!

IF it was a residential steam boiler replacement(and there are a few in my area),,  this "ludicrous" extra expense will invite the "dreaded" F/A option.

Thoughts?   
This discussion has been closed.