Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe shaking

I went back on a call after our company installed a new hot water boiler system with a side arm water heater.  The system was installed in 2003.  My first call to the residence was March 2009, they had periodic maintenance done since we installed the system.  I was sent to check out the "tapping noise"  from the system.  boiler would come on heat water to 180 deg.  shut burners off pump would stay running about 10-15 secs. later main supply line from boiler would start shaking slowly then become badly shaking then stop.  Does this on a call for home heating or domestic water heating.  no air in system pressure is 15 psi.  This problem has me puzzled please help!!!!!!!!

thanks

Heaterman1221

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Breaking into Steam

I know you mentioned boiler reaching 180* , but it sure sounds like steam breaking to me ... Depends o the pressure and temperature in the location in where this happens ... Try dropping the aqua stat 20* and see if it settles down ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Xray
    Xray Member Posts: 24
    Steam bubbles

Is it a low-mass boiler? If flow is insufficient through the boiler, you will get flashes of steam. Did this develop right after the installation, or after some time elapsed? If recent, you may have pump problems. You might have to install a bypass. Other than steam, the only other cause for this that I have seen is liming at the bottom of the boiler due to an influx of fresh water.
This discussion has been closed.