Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure gauge help and what gauge to buy?

Options
heyou
heyou Member Posts: 3
Hi,I've got a 30psi gauge on my system that has not ever moved, and I'd like to correct this. Could the gauge just be gummed up and in need of cleaning? How would I clean it? Also, how exactly does it come off? I'm assuming just a wrench on the back of the gauge by the T fitting would loosen it, but what vale do I need to close to prevent steam from vent as I take the gauge off? What other precautions should I know about? I'm probably just going to replace it but I'd still like to know. Also, what sort of maintenance should I be performing on the boiler? I'm certain that very little has been done since it was installed, the system was set to 7psi and the differential to 5 when I moved in!I've attached a picture of the presuretrol and gauge area if that might help get some answers.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Maintenance.

Weekly: Drain the boiler completely and flush out until the water is clear, or mostly clean.

Yearly: Drain the boiler, clean the pigtail, pressuretrol, and gauge (the parts in the picture). Clean the sight glass. Flush the returns from the furthest point, if possible.Clean burners. Clean pilot/flame assembly. Check radiator pitch. Test low water cut-off and feeder if you have one. And for good measure, skim the boiler while you're filling it.

If any of that is confusing, I would highly suggest hiring a professional. Some of the methods require a know-how of what to look for and when something isn't right. I typically spend about an hour near the boiler alone, then wander around the house and give a once over to the rest of the system.
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    Options
    First off...

I'm sure some pros will chime in, but in the meantime:

Don't remove that 30# gauge. It's there for code compliance. That said, the proper operating pressure of a steam system (better measured in mere ounces) makes this a less-than-appropriate gauge. Many folks add a 3# to monitor their system. For what it's worth, my 30# gauge doesn't do much, either.

7 and 5 psi are far too high. 2 PSI is probably too high (is this one pipe steam?) Allowing your system to build this much pressure waste fuel and can cause air vents to fail. 

good luck,

Patrick
This discussion has been closed.