Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

G E Downfire rumble

Options
Hop
Hop Member Posts: 5
looking for some help with g e downfire boiler with carlin burner rumbling on startup,

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Check

Check for carbon build up on the end cone , ignition parts and back pressure .... The chamber could be collapsing into the boiler walls or dirt building up in the flue base ... You can not buy chambers any more witch would mean a new boiler ... High stack temperature would tell you parts of the chamber is gone ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• toilburn
    toilburn Member Posts: 44
    Options
    toilburn

You are wasting 50% of your fuel. You need a new boiler.
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I vote

New boiler in near future! It will pay for itself in no time!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Vote also

If it was a ground up GE, very efficient, but replacement burners on those didn't work that well, same thing went for the Concors downfired by Gould. Still have a new Beckett for GE mounting flange from days gone by. Hope to never use one again.  peace
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Options
    GE rumble

Were the scrubber plates ever removed when the conversion was done? The only conversion I ever did was back in the 70's and removing the scrubbers (baffles) was part of the procedure. I saw others that had been converted, mostly with an AFG, that worked fine for years.

I wouldn't bet on gaining much efficiency with a new boiler if the GE was properly maintained. I saw some that were less efficient than the GE.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    manual

Still have the complete GE manual if you need something posted on here to direct you to the baffles
This discussion has been closed.