Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to fix a drip a day.

michael_34
michael_34 Member Posts: 304
So I had a customer call and said there is a incredibly slow leak in the solar loop(50/50 glycol water). It is a 3/4" soldered joint that holds the well for the temp gauge.

They say it weeps about a drop a day.

If that is the case is there any other way to fix this leak with out draining that line. It is not a big problem to do so and will (There is strategically placed isolation valves), but it brought up a good question in the shop today. Is there any "quick fix" products that would stop this type of leak?

My answer is "no" But I told them I leave it up to the Wallies.

Thanks

Michael

Comments

• Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    JB Weld

Obviously you are looking for a solution with out taking the system apart and resoldering the joint(s). 

I have used JB Weld products on several of my own projects around the home with good sucess.  Now keep in mind I would rather do the job the correct way over the fastest, cheapest, or cobbling.
  • michael_34
    wayne

Everything else is beautiful. It is just this one lil' spot. I will isolate that area and drain. Then re-solder.

JBWeld with liquid in the system? That's really interesting. I have a feeling I'm going to lose my bet.

thanks

michael
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I am not a professional.

What is it like to solder copper pipe that had glycol solution in it? Must you clean it all up with plain water first? I would worry about it gumming up an making a mess.
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Down and dirty....

OK...most will not like this, but I had a plumber do this on a drip just like yours where galvanized pipe connected to copper at a service entrance just inside the house.  Don't know if it would work for copper to copper.  He soaked a rag in a salt solution and wrapped it around the leak.  In about 2 days it stopped.  I removed the rag and it has held for over 20 years. 
  • michael_34
    Come On! Really!

WOW. That's great. Man that put the biggest smile on my face! Nice!

No sarcasm. you made my day.

That guy had some gall and know how. Witch Doctor like.

Big Smile

Michael
  • Xray
    Xray Member Posts: 24
    YES!!

The old-timers called it "saltbagging." They would empty a teabag, fill it with salt and stick it on the leak. You get a layer of corrosion on the outside like a scab. Hate to admit it, but I have stopped several leaks like this, including an expansion tank. But the right way is to resolder the dam thing. You don't have to do anything special about the antifreeze.
This discussion has been closed.