Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chattering Check Valve

Rich12
Rich12 Member Posts: 2
Hey,

Went to a service call the other day for a chattering check valve. It is a new system off an old system.The new system is for a steam converter for a preheat system. The system is high pressure steam (not to sure of pressure). Just in front of the supply valve for the steam converter there is a drip leg going to a shutoff valve, steam trap and then to the check valve. As soon as you open the shutoff valve the check valve starts chattering. I assumed the steam trap was passing, so I opened it up to make sure there was nothing inside. Everything seemed good, float moved and inside was clean with no debris. Piping before and after check valve is short, a three inch nipple was used before and after the check valve with 90's on the ends of the nipples. I thought I read somewhere piping had to be 2D before and after check valve. Pipe is 2 inch.

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    After the check valve,

where does the pipe go?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Rich12
    Rich12 Member Posts: 2
    Chattering Check Valve (more info)

After the check valve there is a three inch nipple, then a 90, then a 4 inch nipple and then it goes in to the branch side of a two inch tee. The upstream end of the tee and the branch side of the tee are both from steam traps. The downstream end of the tee goes a couple of feet and then 90's through the floor. Just before it goes through the floor it picks up the condensate line from the steam converter. The check valves from the upstream side of the tee and the steam converter are fine and do not chatter.

Thanks again,

Rich
This discussion has been closed.