Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tsunami Watch - OT

After hearing about the Chilean earthquake, a few of my friends and I went out just beyond the Golden Gate to try to get a peak at the tsunami that was supposed to come  in.  Scheduled to hit at 1:26 pm, nothing came in and we had to settle for a beautiful day at the coast.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    You were looking the wrong way...

You were watching the horizon. You should have been looking down ;-)

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7302530

Bizzaro...

I heard on the news tonight that the earthquake released so much energy, it knocked the Earth off of its axis by 3", shortening our day by 3 hundredths of a second.

It also raised an island off the coast of Chili by 6 feet.

I remember the last time I was in your neighborhood that there was a Tsunami warning for the bay area scrolling across the bottom of the TV screen. When I called the front desk to see if we should evacuate or what, she had to call her manager at home, who knew nothing of the Tsunami warning.

I decided to take my fate into my own hands, and grabbed the wife and hopped into the rental car and started heading for higher ground. Shortly thereafter, the radio announcer said they had determined that no Tsunami was coming. Better safe than dead :-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    Looks like a good day.

Looks like a good day.

Although, my wife is Chilean, my mother in law lives on the chilean coast. She woke to sirens to move to higher ground, she saw the sea disapear then reappear with high waves, she's back home now.

My wifes sister however lives in Santiago, on the 11th floor of an apartment building, her building is unsafe to live in.

At least everyone is safe.

A beautiful country, now more than ever I want to visit again.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Is that?

Are those things gunning barricades at Ft. Cronkite park. I remember getting in trouble with the rangers there for driving off road. This was around 1977! When I'm in Dutch Harbor AK  I see the same bunkers built to shoot at the Japanese army. All of this now. in  the U.S.
  • Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    Tsunami

My son lives in hawaii,  promised his mother he was not at the beach, and would stay at home - 2000' above sea level.  He told me the low areas airport etc. had been evacuated.  Turned out to be just a small swell for them.  I saw it on Fox news.  I heard some people went surfing!!
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    My anniversary today

I took my wife to Atlantic city and we watched for the killer waves to come around the earth from the Taj Mahal. Happy to report 51 degrees, sunny and no killer waves!
This discussion has been closed.