Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

on demand gas water heater with integral tank?

Royboy
Royboy Member Posts: 223
can anyone steer me towards an available on-demand gas water heater with a small integral storage tank as part of the unit? I have a client who says they have heard such a thing exists, and I'd like to look into it as a way to get them around the minimum flow rate issue with the "average" gas on-demand.

extra points for a report on experience with such a unit, as installer or user ... ;-)

thanks - Roy

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,142
    Navien

i believe navien has a on demand with a intergral tank

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• Royboy
    thanks, guys

ended up convincing the client that the best option was an indirect off their WeilMcLain GV boiler. but while looking into this got more edified on the whole realm of pros/cons/etcs re tankless units. that was helpful. always more to know to make good choices ... ;-)

Roy
  • Royboy
    and, for what its worth

another new thing I learned about in the process is an on-demand recirc unit - that is a hot water recirc unit that only functions when you push a button to activate it prior to, for instance, taking a shower in a bathroom far from the water heater

like all recircs, it doesn't save energy particularly, but does save water and shortens the wait for usable hot water.

unlike other recircs, though, it doesn't waste a lot of energy in the process by continually moving hot water around in a bunch of usually uninsulated pipes. I think I'd go for this as a first option in a situation where hot water sooner is the request

http://www.gothotwater.com/D%27MAND/default.asp
This discussion has been closed.