Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting to pumping away

JimX
JimX Member Posts: 12
<span style="font-size:12pt">I want to convert my system to pumping away. I currently have a Utica boiler with three Honeywell zone valves on the returns. What would be the best way to pipe this system.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">It is not quite the same as the setup on Page 50 of “Pumping Away” as those vaves are on the supply side of the system.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Also why are ball valves necessary after the zone valves to purge the system. Would not the zone valves be “Normally closed” with the power off? Does that mean each one would have to be open manually to purge the system.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Thank you</span>

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Pumping Away

Just by moving the pump just past the air scoop and expansion tank connection , you would be pumping away ...

Yes, you can use the zone valves as shut offs for purging purposes ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    My opinion.

I would cut both vertical rises on that supply pipe to bring the air separator down about a foot or so, then put the pump in that vertical pipe going through the ceiling. You'd only need 3 couplings and reuse the pipe you cut out to extend the higher section.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 347
    also

Yes, I would do what Jstar said. Also to complete the "pumping away" package, you will need to move your male up water to where the expansion tank connect to the air eliminator. Just replace the 90 with a tee and connect there. 
  • JimX
    JimX Member Posts: 12
    Converting

Thanks guys, all good suggestions. It makes it a lot easier, then the way I was thinking of doing it.
This discussion has been closed.