Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

which is the best boiler water feeder?

Options
Coany
Coany Member Posts: 91
we use Watts 1156f, and they seem to stick often

resulting in all sorts of problems relating to low pressure

is there a better,more reliable one out there?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Unknown
    edited February 2010
    Options
    boiler water feeder

Feeders are a funny thing,,,, I have used the 1156F, and Taco 329-3/w-union,,, and even the brass bodied-ones,,, they all seem to stick over time.

Just a "prod" on the fast-fill with pliers seems to help,,, but by times they do stick-on.

Take one apart,, there`s not much to em, just a tap washer & "O-ring", that`s why you should ALWAYS USE a LWCO.

Good Luck finding-one that does not. :-)
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    We use Taco exclusively

Not too many problems with the iron body Taco PRVs lasting , unless there's fresh water makeup going on over a long period .

Years ago our supplier used to send a backwash wye for each feeder . To clean the inlet of the PRV of accumulation . Does anyone use a wye for this purpose ?
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    fill valves

One reason I see a lot of bad fill valves is they're in the wrong place. I'll bet 70% of boilers I service are Watts which I believe are ferrous. When you see them first in line on your feed line they are exposed to the an open system,  which is portable. . They will rust and clog in a hurry.as those faucets open and close.  Of course the backflow, which are brass and stainless steel, should be first which separates the fill valve from the open system and it's only exposed to the closed side of the boiler. Another problem with the fill valve being first, is the backflow isolates the fill valve from system so it can't read the pressure and let in more water. resulting in no flow situations are possible dry firing a boiler. Always a late night or weekend service call never the less..

I know all you the good wetheads on here know that stuff but if I can save just one new guy from making that mistake......
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The Longest Lasting ....

... Feed valve that I seen was a Thrush..No fast fill back then ,but admaze how long they lasted ...

Today I would say the brass B&G ..

• Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Thrush PRV

This Thrush  valve set was installed in 1955 and still works perfectly. What's even more surprising is that the relief valve still does not leak, even after operating the testing lever. They certainly knew how to make a quality product back then!

By the way, this system still has the original B&G 100 circulator that has never needed any repair other than one coupler change. Water in the system has not been drained or changed since 1960!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks for Posting the Thrush

Heck it still has a price tag on it :)

Diaphragm expansion tanks ...The Flair made one I still see on rare occasions ... Noticed both of these manufacturers are out of business ???

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    I think they still make

that same thrush valve. I have never had any trouble with them. They are no longer available from my supplier but they are still made.
This discussion has been closed.