Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hoffman vs Gorton

Polycarp
Polycarp Member Posts: 135
This summer I'll be adding the sorely needed vents to my one-pipe system.

Using

jpf321's spreadsheet, my system really only needs 2 Gorton #1s (so I'll probably do 3).  But while I can get Hoffman 75s at the local supply, I would have to order in Gortons.   When you count shipping, the Hoffmans are cheaper .. and the retailer is local if there are any problems.

There seems to be a general preference for Gortons around here.  Are they better?  Better enough to justify the price and decreased convenience? 

Thanks guys!

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    please note...

the sheet does not make recommendations for Hoffman Main vents .. so be sure that you know what you are getting when considering the Hoffmans .. the sheet does have recommendations for Hoffman rad vents IIRC.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)
    edited February 2010
    Hoffmans...

are a very good valve, but just have less capacity than the Gortons, so are more expensive for larger venting needs.   Also, they are not as touchy for use in areas with high ambient temps.  Gortons are known to stay closed when ambients are high, even when they should be open.

Both are good choices.
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
  • Polycarp
    Polycarp Member Posts: 135
    Gorton to Hoffman

I saw on the spreadsheet, and on other places on the wall, that 4 G#1's equal 1 G#2 and that 3 Hoffman #75s equal one Gorton #2. If I've understood that right, I should be able to replace G#1s with Hoffmans one-to-one with no problem, I would actually be increasing my capacity some. Since my quantity is based on the slower G#1s, I could also go to Gortons if I ever had the need.

That is, if I am reading those equivalencies right.
This discussion has been closed.