Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating transferring when circ off

Options
I am working on a 3 year old system ( which we did not install).  It is a New yorker fr series with domestic coil.  Circs are on return side :(.  Two 3/4" baseboard series loops.  Taco 3/4" flowchecks on supply side after air scoop/vent and boiler fill/ expansion tank.  Customer is running a higher (175) lo limit to satisfy hot water demand.  Problem is, even with stats off and circs not running, house is still heating.  I have opened and closed the flowchecks.  They are apparently not working???? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    flow checks

Short of opening them up and cleaning them out, you may have no choice but to replace them. IF it's easier, you could try installing a second flow check on the returns, but if the copper sweat type are in place, change them out....once they start, it's hard to stop the gravity feeding
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Flowchecks

Smallest flow check I would use if the radiation is higher then a flow check is 1" ... But I would clean them out first .… Clean the seat , weight and weight shaft with a fine steel wool .. Keep a look out for strands of teflon tape too .

s

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    We use Taco 3/4 flow checks almost daily

and almost never have a problem with them stopping gravity flow . But for the handful of installs that had heat bypass , upsizing the flowcheck like Big Ed said always did the trick .

You could try using a good boiler water cleaner first though . Not sure if it would get to what's hanging up the flowvalve ........
This discussion has been closed.