Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Transfer in Living Color...

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
OK, maybe not living color, but color none the less.

My friend the HeatMeister and I were talking about low loss headers, and how they are piped. I remember posting these here once, and someone, maybe Brad White said they didn't think that cross flow was really that beneficial, but for the life of me I can't remember why.

What do YOU guys think???

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    well

I don' t know why you would cross flow a low loss header, but when we do BUFFER TANKS with a 4 port arrangement like this, we do cross flow, which is exactly like your counter flow example except with one side flipped. so your two outs oppose and your two ins oppose. we do this to ensure full mixing of the tank and therefor ensure full buffer capacity is used.

however the price you pay is that your return to the heat source is blended water, as is your supply water to the heating system. so your heat source might have to run slightly hotter and may get slightly warmer return water as a result.

I have to admit that the math on this, I have not figured with any rigor. However, I do not like "regular" counterflow on BUFFER tanks because of my fear for "straight through" flow, which defeats the entire purpose of buffering

for that reason, we prefer 2 pipe buffer tanks (basically just making them a short, very fat pipe of pipe). then nothing is blended unless we are still doing p/s piping, and in that case we're only blending in one direction, either supply out or source return, depending on which flow is higher.

for hydraulic separation though, again, I have no idea why you would do cross flow.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Mixology

Depends

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.