Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting frustration!

after getting my heating bill this month and doing alot of reading on this site i decided to call a heating professional to take a look at my gas fired boiler and tell me if everything appeared to be in good shape i asked about the main vents and explained to him they didnt feel like they were venting and he   explained to me that they didnt use these anymore now that didnt sound correct to me after reading on this site the importance of the main vents this alone had me frustrated then he explained that my boiler was very dirty and needed to be flushed while it was running .after that he looked at all my rads and stated they were probly all cloged up and needed to be removed and flushed out they were probly all full of sludge after about an hour and a $200 bill of this nonsence i decided i would need to look for a steam profesional. this company i called was JAC heating they are in my town and have been in buisness a long time in Hawthorne NJ.       I had also attended the home show this weekend at the meadolands expo center and this company had a booth there i started to speak to the owner of this company JAC HEATING which stands for JIM ALFONO company and he began to tell me if i had steam heat i should just sell my house because i am stuck with it then he tried selling be some mitsubishi wall mounted heating system.just venting some frustration if any one knows a steam guy in this area please let me know thanks

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • RAF
    RAF Member Posts: 65
    I'm a steam guy in Wyckoff NJ

Everyone's fuel bill was high last month .  Sounds like your bill was a little higher $200 for a lot of nothing.  I am sure if you could be more specific as to what is wrong or what you think is wrong you will fine good answers at this site and in most cases you are talking about things you can do yourself. Knowledge is King and you have in front of you a site loaded with knowlegable people who are willing to help at no cost.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    food for thought

not for nothing they are mostly hot air guys i know i work right down the street from them for years and years,And there is nothing wrong with steam heat in many cases some just don't know  and as for main vents you should have them unless there is some strange piping arrangement counter flow ,2 pipe as for the boiler flushing i personally have done this in some cases (wet returns ,older systems with alot of mud) and have had marked improvements in steam production and system performace.As for the rad flushing i  can only think of once or twice and they where badly pitched and had been holding water for years (and leaking )due to the floor being sagged and rotted.Search this site or go to a local plumbing supply house and ask them they know ,if your in hawthorne try henrys on goffle rd. great guys Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Find a Real Steam Pro

LOL - I read the the first line of Clammy's post "they are mostly hot air guys" and thought boy did that hit the nail on the head!  As Clammy recommended, do some research. There are good steam guys out there. "All Steam Pros are good plumbers, but few plumbers are Steam Pros."

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.