Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roth panel installation

Going to be installing Roth panel for the first time, and would like suggestions on securing to wood sub-floor. Roth says to use min. 8 screws per panel or glue. Which seems to be better. Also how about staples. (7/16*1 1/4 inches) 

Thanks Mike

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    A large job

I did a few years back. I started out with one of those QuickDrive screw guns. It was slow, expensive, and a lot of the heads pulled through the aluminum. I ended up with a wide crown (1-1/2") stapler (my old Heatway staple up stapler, with the tube guide removed). It worked great on the aluminum, but more importantly on the foam only return panels. Those were impossible to screw down. Those plastic washer roofing felt nails work for a quick anchor on the foam panels.

I also used foam adhesive on all the panels. I would buy a battery powered caulk gun were I to do it again. It took cases of adhesive to do 4400 square feet of panel.

We also did the whole perimeter with 6" wide plywood for the hardwood installer to have some good nailing at the ends of his flooring. This job, a doctors home, was all walnut flooring!

Also mark, map, and take pictures of the tube when installed. The homeowner wanted to add floor receptacles after the floor was down, and the furniture was brought in. Good to know EXACTLY where the tubes are.

On another Warmboard job the homeowner got a roll of butcher paper. He rolled a strip across every room and put a mark where the tubes were. He now has a permanent map of every room tube layout, great idea.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    ROTH

Glue the panels down and put a perimiter board down.

Also what do you plan on putting over the panels.

I used three ply with expansion joints but used rigid 1/4" tile underlayment board where tile was planed.

I wish I had used the underlayment board on the whole job.

It was MUCH easier to get it to lay flat.
This discussion has been closed.