Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vanguard Vanex pipe used on hydronic loop

There's an addition in my house about 70' from my boiler, fed by 4 white pex lines.  2 lines hot+cold, 2 for zone supply and return.  I was checking out the tubing and its labled Vanguard Vanex.  Its listed on the tubing for potable water, but I'm worried its not suitalbe (0xygen barrier) for a closed hydronic system.  I tried getting some info from Viega, but can't find anything.

Would the tubing be listed he/pex-al-pex?  Is there an ASTM stamp I can find to verify?  It would be a real **** to replace it, but I'm planning on a boiler replacement in the Spring and need to clear this up.

thanks for the help.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Its has no 02 Barrier

Here;s the manual very easy to find by the way.

[url=http://www.abouthomes.info/files/0525%206518.pdf]http://www.abouthomes.info/files/0525%206518.pdf

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• shoudabeenaplumba
    shoudabeenaplumba Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2010
    Thanks

I wouldn't have thought to go to a real estate web site to find a manual for a tubing company that has been bought out by another company, but now that you explain it I guess it was foolish to try and go to Vanguard/Viega to find an 8 year old pdf file.

"Vanex systems are intended for hot and cold potable water distribution systems, radiant heating systems and other hot and cold water applications. "

I read the file a couple times and this was the only thing I could find, but again, doesn't answer my question.  My gut says it doesn't have it, but there's a difference between Vanguard and Vanex tubing.  I'll keep hoping/looking.

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    IT HAS NOT BARRIER

The tubing has no O2 Barrier

• shoudabeenaplumba
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I just got it!

• REX
    REX Member Posts: 29
    copper

if you want it to fail or if you want to be a girl put plastic piping......if your a man,well thats easy COPPER :)
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Let me count the ways I've seen copper fail...

Hydraulic erosion corrosion....

Acid flux corrosion....

Uric acid corrosion.... (from human urine no less!!)

Freeze bursting...

Low pH attack...

Numerous methods of early death due to incompatibility with the fluids it is carrying....

On the other hand, the PEX I've been using for the last 25 years has suffered ZERO failures listed above. The only leaks I've experienced have been at the hands of another tradesman on the end of an electric drill.

Guess I will keep up my girlish ways. At least I won't have to put it in twice.

Welcome to the Wall.

ME

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    If you use

a condensing stainless boiler you dont need a o2 barrier. If it takes out the pump in short order, put in a brass or stainless pump. If your not going to use a non-ferrous boiler or your going to use a ferrous indirect, separate the tubing with a stainless plate exchanger.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    vanguard pex tubing

take a look at using viega radiant pex with oxygen protection or thier fostapex pex tubing with aluminum for the oxygen protection. both come in rolls or 20' lengths.
  • shoudabeenaplumba
    Called tech support.

Had the guy from Viega on the phone for about 20 minutes going through old tech manuals.  If it doesn't say barrier, it ain't barrier.  He said it would probably take 20 years depending on the exposure.  It was suggested that in a sealed wall/soffit or underground it would take a long time.  I thought of the heat exchanger option, but pex is cheap, and I'm pretty good at drywall (after my mistakes!).

Rippin' her out!
This discussion has been closed.