Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which indirect

I have been research indirect hot water heaters and there seems to be a bunch of choices:

Glass lined

HDPE lined

Stainless 444

Stainless 316L

Stainless 316 Ti

Listed in increasing cost...

I am placing this in a oxygen barrier system off a conventional boiler copper heat exchanger boiler...

Comments

• Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Which Indirect

Hi Radiohead,

I'd go for the one which is most compatible with your water chemistry and is easy to flush/clean.
  • Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 222
    How often?

With SS indirect HW heater, how often would you suggest cleaning +/or flushing?  Do they actually need it?  I mean, depending upon water quality.  I am within NYC's water system. 
  • Roland_18
    which Indirect

Hi Jimbo,

I have a Super Stor s/s indirect and I have to flush it once a month due to the amount of iron in my water. There are other indirects which have an access opening which would have made it easier to clean. I have to drain and refill mine two or three times to get most of the fine rust out.
  • Radiohead
    Radiohead Member Posts: 8
    question

Interesting as I was leaning towards the superstore..

The triangle tube and the superstore are about the same price..  The Buderus (ubknown stainless) and the Viessman are 2x as expensive.  The Viessman is the Ti stainless.

I am on well water, maybe I should do a whole house filter?

Which water heater is easiest to flush?
  • Roland_18
    Which Indirect

There are others here who have much more hands-on experiance than I do.

You may want to investigate this one: [url=http://www.burnham.com/pdf/Alliance%20SL_lit.pdf]http://www.burnham.com/pdf/Alliance%20SL_lit.pdf
  • REX
    REX Member Posts: 29
    LOCHINVAR

do it once,do it right.
  • Radiohead
    Radiohead Member Posts: 8
    Not my first choice

The Lochinvar is the cheapest $$$ with the least corrosion resistant stainless.

The Lochinvar is made from the444L stainless steel.
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    i'm looking at...

i'm looking at the Burnham Alliance SL (as linked above) .. thoughts? i'm happy to explore other options .. i really haven't dug too deep into this research .. I too am in NYC water. 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    The easiest water heater to flush

is a tankless! A filter is always a good idea. Mechanical filtration should always be first on line then followed by the proper equipment, neutralizer, softener, iron removal, ect.

Remember what ever is left in your potable water eventually makes it to your wash machine. Always check for naturally high ppm of sodium, this will take stainless out in short order.
  • Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 222
    Smart Tank

After researching numerous tanks and possibilities, I selected the TT Smart-40, running hot using a mixing valve to reach a usable water temp for my DHW.  If need be, I will stick a hose into the inner tank and attach a small transfer pump to pull the water out.  Here in NYC, actually Staten Island, the only time the water seems sediment fouled is when they work on the main line out front or use the fire hydrant, so I don't know if a filter is necessary.
This discussion has been closed.