Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant windows

TonyS
TonyS Member Posts: 849
Mark, just checking to see if you had time to sort out the info you took on those radiant windows a few weeks ago?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Thanks for asking...

I learned something that weekend. I was attempting to use a device called a flux sensor. Not the kind you solder with, but rather a thin film sensor that can tell you how many BUTH the surface it is connected to is conducting, and what direction is it flowing in. Early on I discovered that if the sensor is not held REAL tight to the surface (it is about 1.5" X 1.5" square) it gives false readings. So, in order for it to work correctly, it MUST be thoroughly and completely bonded to the surface to which it is attempting to monitor. I was simply using reinforced shipping tape with real sticky adhesive. Not good enough.

I also discovered that the adhesive on the tape doesn't work real well at zero degrees F. outside temperatures.

So, I am going to have to purchase numerous of the thin film sensors (at around $350.00 each) and adhese them to the exterior of the windows with some 3-M spray on adhesive, and try it all over again.

The best laid plans of mice and men....

But thanks for checking in just the same.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    OK we will give you one more week

LOL. WOW at 350 apiece we could be waiting awhile. Keep us informed even if its not real scientific I would like to know the amp draw per square foot of glass during several different outside temps.
This discussion has been closed.