Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Gorton #2 Saga Continued

Options
2»

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2010
    Options
    memory fuzzy ...

I think it was in the neighborhood of 28-35? SR should still have our notes ..

the convectors he has are of various widths .. the smallest in Bath and largest in Living Room.

for sizing they ask for cabinet height, element depth and width.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Check My Math

SR's boiler has a net EDR of 360 sqft which equals 86400btuh.  The gross output is 1.33 times this amount or 115,000 btuh.  This means the output of the boiler is 1916 btu per minute.  This is equal to 7.98sqft of steam per minute.  In 9 minutes his boiler only makes 71.82 sq ft of steam.  His convectors have an EDR of 295 sqft,  it takes his boiler 37 minutes to make that much steam.  All I can figure out is that even though a convector might have the same EDR as a cast iron rad it must not condense steam the same way as the cast iron rad.

Mark
  • steam-rookie
    steam-rookie Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Convector data

Its been another long day at work. I`m off tomorrow.

I will post all of the convector Data after I get a good nights sleep.

Thanks everyone for your help.  Tomorrow is convector day. sizes, pics, locations, and the EDR`s that JP and I calculated.  I will also try to throw in the sq. ft. of each room.   
    73 year old one pipe system with original American standard boiler, oil fired becket, 2 inch steel pipe main, 100 feet long, with 8 radiators above.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    BTU vs. EDR

Mark, what you are not taking into account is 1 square foot of EDR is equivalent to  240 BTU per Hour. If you figure on a minute basis, it comes out to 4 BTU per minute, for each sq. ft. of EDR. So using your example, in 9 minutes the convectors could  require 295 EDR x 4 BTU/min x 9 min = 10620 BTU.  His boiler is capable of 1916 BTU/min so in 9 min it can generate 17244 BTU. So in reality, his boiler is quite oversized compared to the calculated connected EDR load, by a factor of 1.62.

This is confirmed by his on off times when pressure cycling, which are  about 150 sec ON, 120 sec off, which correspond to a oversize factor of about 1.8 which is in the ballpark of the oversize obtained from JP's EDR calculations.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Oversized

Mike thanks for the reply. What I think my problem is that I'm trying to figure out on the convectors work as compared to my cast iron rads. As best as I can figure the convectors heat very quickly then convection should keep cooling them so they can keep condensing steam. If air flow isn't optimal or the boiler is quite a bit oversized they can't cool fast enough to keep up therefore the steam that isn't condensed is able to close the air vent. Once this happens the boiler will keep cycling until the thermostat is satisfied.

Mark
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Yes, you've got it

The convectors ability to condense steam is dependent on its ability to transfer heat  to the air passing through it. If the airflow is blocked it will condense less steam than if air circulated freely and rapidly through the fins. Thats why the published EDR ratings for the same convector may be different depending on its placement or height in the enclosure.

If you put a fan under the convector and forcefully blow air through the fins, it will be able to condense even more steam, and therefore under those conditions may have an effective EDR far greater than the published rating. As long as the convector tubes are filled with steam at constant pressure, the convector can condense steam at a rate only limited by how fast the heat can be removed and transferred to the air flowing through it.

Once the convectors are at equilibrium and cannot transfer heat any faster under the present set of conditions, the pressure will rise and the pressuretrol will begin to cycle to limit the amount of steam generated to only the amount that can be condensed. Thats why, by timing the pressuretrol on-off cycles, you can determine how much oversized the boilers steam generating capacity is relative to the installed EDR's ability to condense it.
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    SR

when you open up each convector .. make sure you have a vaccuum with brush attachement in hand so that you can vacuum off all your convector fins and cabinet openings .. the most important part of convectors is airflow and dirty fins or cab opening restrict air flow .. as do pieces of furniture or curtains in front of cabinets.

jpf
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.