Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU of cast iron rad.

Customer wants to replace this rad. with cast iron baseboard but I can't find what the output is for this one.

It is a cast iron box that looks something like a normal radiator but it is hollow and on the inside about a third of the way up there is a cast iron ( fin tube ) that goes from end to end. This is not a sectional rad.

It is 18 inches high, 9 inches deep, and 41 1/2 inches long.

Anybody know what this thing will put out???


  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,700
    Weil Mclain

    Sounds like a Weil Mclain ...do you have a photo
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    NO photo

    I looked at the Weil McLain rads and didn't see one with the same dimensions.

    I found one that looked something like it.

    It has a cast iron fin tube inside the cast iron box.
  • Man that could be anything,,,,,,

    without a pic,,, is it a convector?,,,, oh we may stumble on-it, but more info is needed to be precise.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,700
    Educated Guess

    Sometimes You have to make a educated guess .. I seen that style once or maybe twice. The Wild Mc had a clip in cast door to gain access to a vent or bleeder. I believe the the only water or steam cavity was in that inside hunk of fin cast .. I would look for a compraple lengh , figure the difference of listed EDR heights to come up a percentage of out put .. Then adjust to your size ..    
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.