Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel oil mistake

Ted_4
Ted_4 Member Posts: 92
Today's sidebar has a news item about a driver delivering oil to a house will no tank - filling the basement with oil.  Everybody wants to string up the driver, but who was the idiot that left the fill pipe in place after the tank was removed?  The Scully fitting is still there for crying out loud!  I hope nobody on this Wall who is doing gas conversions is leaving the old oil piping.  This is just courting disaster as todays news post shows.

This unfortunate event took place in Bethpage. I wonder who's house it was.  Say...doesn't Dan live in Bethpage?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    edited February 2010
    At Least.....

.... Once a year I read this same story. You know the saying " The cheapest bid wins the job.. Hope not be too much oil was dumped unless the driver ignored the lack of whistle..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    I do live in Bethpage,

and if you look again in the News section you'll see there were two incidents of this this week here on the Isle of Long. I agree with you about the pipe and the knucklehead who did the conversion in both cases.

What I can't stand is the gutless driver who dumped the oil, obviously didn't hear the whistle and then and ran. He needs to man-up.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dan_15
    Dan_15 Member Posts: 388
    everyone

What you have here is a case of what they call "contributory negligence"--everyone is to blame--the guy who didnt hear the whistle, the installer who didnt remove the fill and the homeowner who didnt discontinue fuel delivery.  It will be a lawyer-fest for sure.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    well

I'm guessing it was a delivery to the wrong address, not that they didn't stop delivery. Unless you heard something else?

The news 88 reporter said she couldn't believe that the driver had to walk right past the gas meter to the fill pipe. I emailed them to let them know it's possible to have both, as I do. Oil for heat, gas for cooking.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    The homeowner

has no oil account with any dealer. He converted to gas and trusted the installer to do the right thing. The homeowner has no part in this, other than to suffer the mistakes of others. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    what about the whistle?

I always put a plug in any disconnected fill.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Inspector

Where was the inspector in both of these conversions? Was there one or did he just overlook it? As Arnold Diaz would say, "Shame on you."
  • Plugging the fill pipe,,,

sometimes does not help,, read this guys misfortune,,,,

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/473628
This discussion has been closed.