Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Splitting BTU b/w boiler and water heater.

Options
HenryT
HenryT Member Posts: 128
<span>

Tim, I read from your previous post and you suggested in lieu of downfiring a oversized boiler use the excess BTU to heat hot water.

I'd appreciate it if you can elaborate more on this point. Let me give you a brief background of my issue:

I have a oversized boiler based on EDR calculations. My boiler will heat my house but pressure will start to build after about 40-50 minutes of runtime resulting in pressure cycling before my t-stat is satisfied. I know this is not dangerous per say, but it does give a lot of wear and tear to the controls and it is really not a efficient way of heating.

I was recommended to downfire my boiler by a contractor but have also read that I may accomplish nothing but doing so. Short of that, my other option is to share the btu as you pointed out. How can this be done. I have an existing 50 gallon gas water heater. So when my t-stat is calling for heat, will that be the only time the water is getting heated? How does the water stay heated say if my boiler is on set back?

As for the summertime water heating, will there be a switch installed so I can switch back to heating the way I've been doing it which is via the hot water heater? How difficult of a job is this and is there a industry name for this type of job?

Thanks in advance for your comments.</span>
This discussion has been closed.