Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

direct vent oil boiler

Options
TonyS
TonyS Member Posts: 849
I have a customer with a oil boiler that is direct vented(it wasnt designed that way but someone thought it would work) The boiler is part of a hydro-air system that works well. The boiler also has a tankless coil in it. What I would like to do is install a direct vent boiler or a power venter on a new boiler and use a indirect tank for domestic. The problem I have is the sidewall vent terminates about 4 inches off the ground, I cant get any higher because of ground level. Does anyone make a snorkel kit for oil venting? Any ideas appreciated? Thanks

Comments

• JOE_104
    JOE_104 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    direct vent

field makes a power vent for when distance to ground is less than code .
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Thanks Joe

I checked out their site and that seems to be just what Im looking for.
  • HJC
    HJC Member Posts: 1
    Options
    budras riello cross contamination problems

I am a General Contractor and the HVAC contractor installed a Buderas G115 direct vent oil boiler with a pressure balanced Riello buner. the Field control hood exhausts and intakes in the same hood. The hood is direct vented out the wall above the concrete wall and below the first floor deck. The intake is pulling in exhaust and cross-contaminating the burner, and it shuts down repeatedly. The boiler and gun soot up as a result.

Buderas has recommended to separate the exhaust from the intake and change the hood. We have, and so far have spent over  $750 on the first hood and vent kit and another $350 for the second hood, and another $850 for a decorative protective rail gard as the temperature at the new hood exhaust surface  is over 200 degrees. Also Rielo has told us the field intake and exhaust hood is on its 4th or 5th redesign for Buderas, and our exhaust height from ground is insufficient. They have also blamed the wind as a problem.

The exhaust is approximately  eighteen inches above grade. It seems to me the contamination problem is due to the poor design and function of the hood and if it were higher off the ground we would still have the same problem as the hood exhausts just below the intake that is sucking in the CO2.

Are there any service bulletins or reviews that address this contamination problem as a result of the design flaws of Field Control's hood? Is there a different remedy to the problem I am having?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Direct Vent Boilers:

I've always used Tjernlund SS-1 Side Shot Power Venters. You can adjust them so that they will overcome any direct wind blowing on them. They diffuse well. When I have to install on an East facing side, and I must set them up for higher draft, I install 2 draft dampers. I don't like the SS-2's. I have never had any pleasant experience with Fields. I don't like that motor hanging out in the cold environment and I would not be excited about changing a motor outside in a snow storm.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Termination

Termination for single termination direct vent is best on the leeward side of the home and not in an inside corner ... if you can only install on the windward side of the home its best to use separate intake and venting termination , on the same wall so they share the same pressure field, . and put distance between the two, between 6 to 10 feet ...and never in an inside or near the outside corner

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    My installation manual does not agree.

For my gas boiler, they want the intake and exhaust quite close (within two feet) together to minimize the pressure difference between them. To reduce the likelihood of inhaling exhaust, the exhaust blows straight out, and the intake inhales from the side. If you do not use one of their termination units, they want the exhaust vent to be at least 12 inches higher than the intake.

My installation uses one of their terminations. When its modulation is running at maximum firing rate, this works quite well, but when it is running at 20% and the wind is blowing gently in every direction, I can see the possibility of it inhaling a little of the exhaust from time to time because the exhaust does not shoot straight out very far, but sort-of wanders around aimlessly. If the exhaust were hotter, it would float up more rapidly, away from the intake. If the boiler were running at a higher rate, the exhaust pressure would carry it further away. All kinds of contradictory requirements!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I agree

We must follow the manufactures guild lines and let them make the decisions to very from the manual .

Direct vent is not a perfect world ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.