Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity Conversion

Peter_26
Peter_26 Member Posts: 129
When converting old gravity system (2 return and 2 supply) do both returns get tied to each other and both supply? I think I misread the hydronics book and thought it meant connecting one supply to one return and then use the remaining return and supply for the boiler. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    gravity conversion

Tie the two returns together, install a ball valve on each for balancing, tie the two supplies together and pipe in between the two. In this line go your air eliminator, primary pump and closely space tees if you are doing P/S piping....recommended!!

Drawing the piping schematic looking from above, you should have an H configuration with the pump/air eliminator/tees on the cross bar.

Hope this helps.
  • Peter_26
    Peter_26 Member Posts: 129
    Gravity Conversion

Thanks Al, I made up a schematic of how I pictured what you were explaining to me. Le t me know if this is what your talking about.

As for the circulators I assumed they were adequate because my gravity system has little head pressure vs. a high flow. Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want the water to flow too fast and not pick up any heat. I also thought of going with a variable speed as the primary and keeping the 007 on the secondary.

I am leaning towards getting an indirect water heater, but don't know if I should make it a zone or parallel of of the primary. I just can't figure out which would be best. What would be the a good control for my set up?

Thanks,

Pete
This discussion has been closed.