Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crooked Pipe

VDBLU
VDBLU Member Posts: 39
I'm starting to plumb a primary loop around my boiler. The first riser coming out of the top of the boiler is not plumb. It's off by about 3/4" in 30". I've got a nipple and union on there but I've spun them around and it seems the problem is in the boiler tapping itself. So the question is does it matter? And if it does how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Shouldn`t really matter,,,,

except for the look of it.

You can correct that by using a short nipple and 2-45`s(creating a slight offset), then adjust them plumb before your union. :-)
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    cross-threaded?

A crooked tapping might in fact be the culprit, however have you made sure the pipe isn't cross-threaded?  

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• VDBLU
    VDBLU Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions

Dave- Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about using two 90, but it throws some plans off. May have to do it anyway because it looks sloppy crooked.

Eric- The first nipple looks to be factory installed. I'm thinking I'm best to leave it alone if I can. I hadn't thought of the possibility of it being crossed though. At least if it has to come apart the union is right there.

Mark
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    crooked pipe

Here is an old timers trick that I am so surprised that a lot of fitters out there don't know or have forgotten....cut a crooked thread !!!

The old buildings in days gone by didn't always have square walls, and the taps on oil tanks are almost never perfect, so cut a crooked thread....

All you need is a Ridgid 65 adjustable die, 1"-2". Set the cutters to the proper size but offset the back collar in between the pipe size and the next size up. You will cut a crooked thread on the pipe that can be adjusted to look straight almost anyway....you will actually see the die wobble on the pipe as you cut the thread. Be careful though as offsetting the back collar too far will snap you dies

Just an old trick from an old fitter....my granddad taught me that 50 years ago.......
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Brings Back Memories

My Grand Dad always called for a crooked pipe. I was 12 years old threading pipe , hanging on the handle. Then one day I found we owned a electric vice ... What the hey !! He mentioned never use a crooked pipe on cast ... I guess he cracked a block with one in his day..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.