Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex or not to pex

Slimpickins
Slimpickins Member Posts: 347
I haven't done any new work for a while and have a basement finish to do. It's a no frills rental and I figure I'd use baseboard and wondering if I should use copper or pex for the heat runs.   I'm leaning toward Pex-al Pex because I think it might hold up better with the 180 degree operating temp. Any thoughts?

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    edited February 2010
    PEX works nicely

I have been using a manifold/home-run  method for basement systems a lot over the last year or so, everyone piped with PEX.  The only caution I would give would be to allow for sufficient expansion on both the supply and returns. 

Temperature ratings for the PEX are listed on the sidewall of the tubing, most 1/2" will be rated at 100 psi/180*F.  Plenty good for a baseboard job.

I prefer Viega barrier PEX or Viega FostaPEX

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    pex or copper

for running from a boiler to copper baseboard or radiators, cast iron baseboard, hydronic duct coils take a look at using VIEGA fostapex. It is a pex product with aluminum that works as the oxygen barrier and also keeps the pipe rigid when running 180* hot water through it and it expands very little almost the same expansion as copper tubing and no where near as much as regular radiant pex tubing.

comes in 1/2" - 3/4" - 5/8" - 1" in 150' rolls and 20' lengths.

great product!!
This discussion has been closed.