Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Steam boier in Dumont NJ

I'm trying to find a good craftsman to replace a steam boiler in Dumont NJ - a little North/east of Paramus and the find a professional feature doesn't seam to be working... 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Dumont Steam

Contact Information

David & John Cataneo NJplumber@hotmail.com Phone 973-672-1000

Scroll down the FAP page and you'll find a list of states. There are only four heating companies listed in N.J.  C'mon the rest of you Joisey pipe jockeys, sign-up! What? you hate money?
  • JerseyWreckDiver
    JerseyWreckDiver Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2010
    No go

Yah, I already called them, apparently a 1/2 hour drive from the office is too far for them. Thanks anyway.

• Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Dumont Steam

I guess those guys hate money too. Well your alternative is to contact heating contractors close to you and ask questions about how they will install the boiler.

I went through this with my sister who needed a new steam boiler. To weed out the true knuckle-heads you start by asking two basic questions:

1) How will you size the new boiler? The only good answer is by the size and number of radiators.

2) How will you pipe the new boiler? Answer: Black pipe and per the manufacturers' specifications.

Any other answers are a no-go. Period.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,142
    good luck dude

I know you may be in for a hard hunt ,i have taken a look at a couple of steam jobs in your town and most where not piped correctly and maybe the price they paid for the job had some thing to do with it about 1/2 on my price ,i had given them prices to re piping and they complained and stated it was to much money so there steamboiler still work like $rap ,stick to your guns on the steel pipe and exeeding the manafatures header diagrams as for sizing good luck not many will check your rads or edr and even better luck on a heat lose or  heat what ,I can not reccomend any one for i know they all hardly ever pipe any thing larger then 2 inch,be carefull lots of hacks in sheeps clothing peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• JerseyWreckDiver
    JerseyWreckDiver Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2010
    Band Aid Applied

I asked my inlaws if anyone looked at any radiators... no to all, nobody went outside the basement. They all said they would pipe it up real nice in copper.... Like a parade of clowns. Never fails in the middle of Winter.. I couldn't take it anymore and drove out there today. I warned him about the Copper header 10 years ago when I first saw it, but i was still surprised today at the level of corrosion for an 18 year old peerless.

Anyway, I patched the hole pretty well, I'm confident it will hold until spring when I can take my time finding the right contractor or break down and do it myself.

The pics show the rot and the fix. The head of the 3/8th bolt and another 1" washer are inside the water chamber with a good helping of steel impregnated epoxy between the washers and the cast iron, everything sinched up tight and hardened off, it was holding fine when I left...

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,142
    Co dect.

Holes like that in a boiler is not a good thing and i am surprised if any heating expert would leave that unit on line ,be sure your in laws have a CO dect in the bed room and  one some where near the boiler like bottom of the basement stairs ,with a hole like that steam escapes in the chimmey and effects the draft some times and an cause combustion gases to esape in the home and as stated CO effects the very old and very young in this sitiutation i think it is dangerous and if some thing where to happen i know if it where me i would feel responablle .This is not to bash your repair very cleaver  but i know it is not what i would do for my parents or in laws ,friends or a custormer but heck that's me and after just 1 brush with CO and it;s dangers i never have to be told twice peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

This discussion has been closed.