Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator bleeder valve port(s)

RonABC_2
RonABC_2 Member Posts: 24
I bought a small used cast iron radiator about 6 months (about 12 inches wide by 24 inches high).  I finally connected it up to the hot water heating system in an apartment that I will be renting out.

But, when I went to bleed the radiator, I noticed that the bleeder valve is in the end of the radiator only about half way up from the floor (about 12 inches up).  That means I cannot bleed the air out of the top half of the radiator.  After thinking about it, I figured out that it probably used to be a steam radiator that had a steam valve at that height.  I guess they replaced the steam valve with a bleeder port and called it a hot water radiator.

At the top of the radiator on one end in the corner there is a flat head screw going into the radiator.  I am guessing that I could try taking out the flat head screw and replacing it with a bleeder valve there.  Does that sound about right?

I am hesitant to mess with the screw.  I don't know how hard it will be to get out although my first try broke a screwdriver tip before anything happened with the screw.  I am thinking about heating the screw with a torch first before trying to get it out.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I also thought that "there oughta be something" -- like a piece of small tubing etc. -- that I could attach to the existing bleeder valve from the inside that could be fed from there up to the top of the inside of the radiator.  I assume that no such thing exists, but that seems like it would be a way to bleed the air from the top of the radiator rather than from the middle.

Comments

• Idea

Your idea is very novel, but I know of nothing like that on the market.

You will have to deal with the existing tapping or make a new one.  Yes, heating the surface will help.

And make sure the radiator is made to work with hot water. The sections should have waterway connections at the top and bottom.  If only at the bottom, you will have to install air bleeders on each section.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • RonABC_2
    RonABC_2 Member Posts: 24
    Radiator bleeder valve port(s)

Thanks.  I'll go ahead and try heating the surface when I attempt to take the screw out.

I am assuming that the radiator is made to work with hot water.  By that I mean that the sections at the top and bottom look like they are connected in the same way that they appear in the icon/avatar picture that is next to my RonABC name.
This discussion has been closed.