Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baxi luna plate exchangers and hard water

Options
clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,112
I recently looked at  a hydrotherm celtic wall hang replacement i was planning to replace with a baxi luna combi unit the custermer was a bit concerned because the water in the area has a 10.5 water  hardness according to the town water dept .I am wondering how the plate exchanger will hold up to such hard water ,There is no space to install any water softern being this is single mech room where all the boilers are located this is a condo building .I am wondering if i would be better off using a heating only boiler and just use the existing indirect tank that is already there.Every unit there has signs of the hard water from the accumalation of scale on valves and on the air elimators .I was thinking about filling the boiler with bottled water being it is only a single loop of baseboard for a 2 bed room condo just to over my butt and trying to avoid any possible issues .thansk for any insight on the water hardness and  heating domestic  water through a plate exchanger .Thanks peace and good luck clammy 
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Don't use the combi

unless you treat the water. Are these all one boiler/per condo or a central system. Ithink they would be money ahead to do a central treatment system. That kind of hardness goes after everything in the place. dish washer, faucets, etc.

Does 10.5 gr meet the federal secondary drinking water standards?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    no treatment at all

It is a town water comapny and many have complained about the hard water and i believe each condo has there own water meter so it up to each owner to do something promblem being there is no room for any water softing equiptment.i will talk to mt baxi supplier and see what he says on monday except i believ i'll be re using the indirect less hassle peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.