Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Soot sticks?

Options
GarvinP
GarvinP Member Posts: 9
Anyone believe they really work?  After using them I really don't see a difference. Perhaps there is a delayed effect but I have my doubts.  Has anyone used sprayed water (from like a spray bottle) to get down to metal or do you feel you HAVE to use brushes? (I understand that need for very sooted heat exchangers.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    soot sticks

I think soot sticks got a bad rap as they became a cleaning tool instead of what they were designed for....a follow-up/finishing touch to cleaning a very sooted boiler. I've seen chemical residue build-up so bad in a boiler from repeated use that it wouldn't handle the load and had to be removed.

Did use water spray to clean boilers before, but generally the older boilers with front doors to get at the heat exchanger while the unit was running....tough to do with today's modern boilers as most have to have the smoke pipe disconnected or the burner door open to clean effectively. I have used a soot stick maybe once or twice in the last 15 years and never allowed my employees to have them or use them unless the boss said it was OK......they simply have become an easy way out for a lot of techs......ugly truth but true. Sure they are used properly by a lot of guys, but.........
This discussion has been closed.