Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New P trol settings

Options
2»

Comments

• steam-rookie
    steam-rookie Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Gigantic boiler

I have not changed anything on the boiler. everything is original. The only thing that is new is the pressure gauge. and the main vents

So far I have lowered the settings on the pressure trol to the current low pressure setting. The boiler has not had a working gauge on it for 17 years. When I first put the new gauge on it shot up to 3 psi and buried the needle. I have no idea how high it was running at. Sounds like the new settings are good.

I have also insulated all of the mains with 1" thick fiberglass.

I have also shortened the time it takes to fill the mains. It was previously taking 31 min., I have got that down to 6-7 min..

I was also able to drain and fill the boiler. I got rid of all that red water. The glass gauge is showing much cleaner water now and the water has stopped jumping up and down the gauge like crazy.

In the 17 years that we have lived here the boiler has always cycled like this.

Its nothing new to us. I do feel however that I have improved its efficiency and perhaps lifespan with the improvements that I have made. Thanks to this web site of course

I will post the sq. ft. of the house tomorrow. I got home from work late again. way to late to start measuring. I am still interested in knowing all I can about how my system is working. So far It sounds like my boiler is bib enough to run a steam ship or locomotive. Maybe that's where to builder got it
    73 year old one pipe system with original American standard boiler, oil fired becket, 2 inch steel pipe main, 100 feet long, with 8 radiators above.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Old boiler

You say your boiler is 65yrs old and from the looks of it very much oversized.   Have you ever thought that maybe its time to retire it and get a new properly sized boiler.  I replaced a 75 yr old Weil-McLain last year.  Best thing I ever did I cut my heating bill in half.  If you decide to replace it sometime make sure you find a pro that can properly determine how much radiation you have in your house.  Then size the boiler to that load. 

Mark
  • Reset2
    Reset2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Firebrick in an Acroliner boiler

"While you are at it open the top door and check to see if you have the

baffles in the flues there cast iron and will be slid in on the left and

right passes if not pick up a couple  fire brick and put them in the

center pass you will gain a little there  also. Your most likely in

1.25 nozzle range on that boiler and could bring it down some."

I have one of these in a rental house in Hagerstown MD. Oil fired steam one pipe boiler. I have heard about putting a brick in the flue before but forgot until I read your post. How big of a brick do you put in there. I have seen both 2 inch and 1 inch bricks locally. Do I have to check the pressure in the boiler again after this or is it ok just to install?  Thanks for a great web site. I do HVAC work but the steam is a different animal.

Reset2

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.