Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What IS the correct way to bleed radiators??

Options
Sweet_Lew
Sweet_Lew Member Posts: 116
Experts,

I have a really basic hot water boiler\radiator setup. I was told to bleed the radiators in the off season and during the middle of winter. So I was told by my service tech to bleed the radiators right after the boiler shuts off and the radiators are hot (and the pressure is up in the system). I have also heard from my General Contractor's HVAC guy to bleed the system while it's running\on.

What is the right way?

Also, after bleeding, do I need to add more water to the system?

Thanks,

Lew

Comments

• mor
    mor Member Posts: 42
    Options
    piping

Once done, if you have an air eliminator and the boiler system is piped correctly it should take care of itself. Add water? there is usually a feeder that regulates itself. [you may find it closed though]. MB
  • Sweet_Lew
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to check the water level in the boiler? I'll peep the autofill valve and the main water valve to the system to make sure they are on.
  • mor
    Options
    low water level

speaking of, if you don't have a low water cut out, I strongly suggest to have one installed, could save a boiler ...and perhaps even a life.
  • Sweet_Lew
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Checked out the system

I checked out the system last night. All valves are open. 

As for a low level cutout, not sure where I look for that. Where would it be installed?
  • mor
    Options
    LWCO

Low water cut off. You may find it screwed into the piping higher than the boiler. It would have wires coming from it [thin or Higher voltage] and usually an LED light. popular names are Hydrolevel, Mc Donald miler.
  • Sweet_Lew
    Options
    HMMMMMMMMM

Don't think I have one of those. Let me try to get the system working better first before I start fiddling with it. Ever since I replaced the old mercury bulb t-stat with a digital one, the system has been working\running like crap and not heating the house as well. At first I thought my circulator pump was going out, but it's super quiet when it's on (yes, it's running), but the rads are not getting as hot. I picked up another t-stat with a heat swing\anticipator feature which should help. If that doesn't, then I'm putting the old t-stat back in..
This discussion has been closed.