Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Speaking of cold celler

Options
Jimbo_5
Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
Just read the "cold cellar" post, and I have to  wonder:  Were the older houses intentionally built with the heat source (boiler/furnace) installed beneath the kitchen?  Thus allowing the boiler to heat the kitchen indirectly?  And did they intentionally run large (2") BI headers across the basement ceiling, thus heating the floor above?  After replacing our old boiler with a new mod/con, we noticed that the kitchen does not get nearly warm enough, with the original CI baseboard.  Looking back, I remember how hot the basement piping would get when the boiler was running.  Now the pipes do not get HOT, nor does the flooring above, just warm enough to make the house comfortable in most areas.  Cannot help but wonder.  Looking around the neighborhood, I notice almost all the houses have the boiler and piping similarly placed. 

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I Would Guess

The boiler and kitchen were close to share the chimney shaft or use the old unused chimney.. They used wood burning cooking stoves way back before electricity or the gas line..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.