Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP: replacing thermostat to programmable

Options
armychiq
armychiq Member Posts: 29
I have an old thermostat that is original to the furnace/home w/ a dial. I wanted to replace it with a programmable thermostat. i bought a honeywell 1 week semana (model #rth221b) at home depot and am having a hell of a time figuring out how to install it. The original one has 2 wires, one red and one blue - thats it. The honeywell has many slots to screw the wires in, Y, G on the left side and Rh, Rc, W on the right. The red one is in Y and the blue is in G and the thermostat we set at 60 and we left the house - came back and it was on 74*! i have no settings on there to keep it at 74 - only 60 and the furnace wont turn off. I have a boiler with no central air system. Are these even compatible? What am i doing wrong? HELP :(

Comments

• Tom Blackwell_2
    Tom Blackwell_2 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Heating only

For a heating only application one wire should go to the rh terminal and the other should go to the w terminal. Your existing thermostat wire has a non-standard color code. Be sure to program the cycling rate per the owner's manual for your type of heating system. Hope this helps...
  • armychiq
    Options
    RH and RC

There is a jumper going between RH and RC. do you twist the wire around the jumper or....?
  • Tom Blackwell_2
    Tom Blackwell_2 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Jumper

The rc terminal is used for the air conditioning functions. Either remove the jumper or just secure the wire under the rh screw.
  • armychiq
    Options
    RE: Jumper

Thank you i think its working. i turned it up and it turned on, turned it down and it shut off! thanks a ton!!!
This discussion has been closed.