Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler

Weezel68
Weezel68 Member Posts: 1
Dan, I am servicing a newer steam boiler and in the past 2 weeks it went through 12 gallons of water. This is a one pipe system. Is this excessive? I don't see any leaks.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Leaks

That sounds very excessive. My Burnham manual states I shouildn't add more than a gallon a year. Do you have buried wet returns? Assume they are leaking. You say the boiler is newer. But if it has had to take on excessive water because of leaking returns it might now have a hole in it.

Mark
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    excessive water use

Certainly is excessive but chances are its not the new boiler and the system had the same problem before the new boiler was installed. Remember that the boiler is only one component of a larger system. Basically it is only the pot we heat the water in....certainly buried returns could be an issue, but look at the vents first. It's the one component most overlooked. Leaking vents can release a lot of water into the environment the system lives in. And lots of replacement water can rot out a new boiler in a hurry. Just installed the 3rd boiler in a home in the last 10 years....this will be the last for a long time because we changed vents, put in the correct size boiler and repiped all the stupid errors done by the guy that put in the first two.

As Dan has said many times "slowly step back out of the boiler room and look around"....................
This discussion has been closed.