Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

should I save for a new boiler

Options
Have a correctly piped one pipe steam system with a Williamson OSB-4 boiler.  So far this heating season it has shut down from LWCO 5 times.  It currently requires water about once a week.  This has never been the case before.  I have tried to look at the chimney during firing and have not noticed exceptional white "smoke".   the water is very dirty, even after multiple drains and slow refills.  The other concern I have is when looking into the firebox the walls of the box on the burner end look like metal walls and the far end looks like its covered with about 1/2-inch of what looks like refractory cement.  Is this normal? Where could the water be going and how can I "find" it. 

I should note that the frequency of fills increased after the oil co. did annual maintaince on the boiler. do I trust them to come out and look at it again? 

I will try and post picture(s) of the inside tonight.

Thanks

Comments

• TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    Options
    checking for water leaks

you could also take the flue assembly off and look down into the boiler from the top.   

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    should I save for a new boiler

Make sure all the vents on the radiators are working properly. If one is stuck open it will allow a lot of steam to escape. Also the mains on the boiler.
  • scott k_3
    scott k_3 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    photos

Venting is all ok, recently installed and I haven't noticed steam leaking from any of them.  I've attached a couple of photos, one is of the water and this is after draining and flushing and the second of the inside of the fire box and the scale/refractory cement that has me concerned.
  • RAF
    RAF Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Some Ideas

Looking at the picture you sure could use some boiler cleaner Herculhttp://www.herchem.com/search.htmes Scout. Keep on flushing that water the cleaner the better.

Check all of your vents and piping a lot of systems had the returns running under the floor you could have a leak in a return line. If you have any mains running into crawl spaces you might look in the space to see if there might be a main line vent leaking

Your chamber is easly replace if it needs to be and it isn't usually  to exspensive

When your boiler is running and has a good head of steam try looking with a bright flash light through your draft regulator usually you will see steam in the flue gas as it pass the light . Also after a good cycle again with a good head of steam when the burner shuts down listen to your boiler for any hissing sounds.

Good Luck and I dought it has anything to do with you fuel companys Annual Servicing
This discussion has been closed.