Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam piping connection to header

Options
JIBSG
JIBSG Member Posts: 3
SEE DRAWING

Does it matter how the piping is connection from the equilizing lne to the header?

the problem - carryover in anything other than low fire... Check all other causes and found normal- TDS, oil, foam, height to header etc.

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    Yes, it's Incorrect

That's what we call a bull headed tee.  It's wrong. 

Re-pipe the boiler according to the manufacturer's instructions. 
  • Boiler Piping

Actually both your sketches have bullheaded tees.  As L.B. Ed mentioned, pipe it according to the manufacturer's installation instructions. Be sure to use recommended pipe sizes and height dimensions. Any variation of these can cause you big problems unless you are very familiar with steam piping configurations and understand steam design parameters.

Perhaps if you post picture of boiler piping we can offer some suggestions.

- Rod
  • JIBSG
    Options
    1150 boiler picture

Thanks for the replies.

See picture.

I have always suspected this was a problem but was unable to prove it. I will contact Superior for their installation manual (not on site). Can you explain why it carry's over in this configuration?

p.s. Sorry for the poor grammar in the original post.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Commercial Boiler

While "Bullheaded" tees are still "Bullheaded" tees, from your post/drawings we didn't realize that this was a big commercial boiler. I would definitely get the manufacturer's installation manual, read it over and then contact the manufacturer, talk to their tech dept. and ask them to send out their rep to have them look at the installation and to go over any questions you have. 

If you have any questions then come back and perhaps use the topic for your post, "Commercial Boiler Question" and that should get the attention of the "heavy" steam pros. You might also want to post on the Main Wall too

- Rod
  • JIBSG
    Options
    Thanks Rod

Already set up a meeting to meeting with rep. I'll let you know what the results are.

My money is on its wrong. The question is how to fix it.

Just because its been there for 30 years doesn't mean it correct.....
This discussion has been closed.