Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil piping

JimGPE_3
JimGPE_3 Member Posts: 240
I need to pipe up an oil-fired furnace, a small boiler for an in-floor radiant heat system and two unit heaters. It has been a while! Any good sources for piping information out there, including piping materials and methods, pipe sizing, return lines, day tanks and the like? As you can see by my name, I am an engineer, so I am drawing this system for contractors to bid.

Thanks!

Jim.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    piping schematics

Jim, most manufacturers provide piping diagrams for their equipment, and NFPA codes would giv eyou information on how to pipe fuel lines, or you could hire a licensed guy to show you how its done.

Good luck.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    is this the....

oil lines or the water piping?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    edited January 2010
    Hight Matters

If the fuel pump units are over twelve feet from the bottom of the tank you need to look into pumping the oil up to the units .. Either using a day tank or pressurized lines .. I prefer a day tank for safety concerns .. Pressure against the pump seals are a concern if the oil is stored 12' higher then the pump or with pressurized lines . A Oil Safety valve , needs to be added before the pump ...

With Piping a day tank burner supply lines, air is a concern . a good downward pitch is preferred but sometimes not possible on long lines . A Tiger loop can be added to keep the burner primed,but its recommended to be higher the the oil supply . You need to size the supply lines to the GPH of the unit and length of the lines .. Also the the GPH output of the lift pump needs to exceed the input of all the units .. The return of the lift pump should end on the top of the tank with a downward pitch to the tank ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.