Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard Boiler Heat

missmanj
missmanj Member Posts: 2
I will try to explain this best I can. I have an American Standard Boiler Heater, its gas operated with an electric pump, it says GPH-100 on the side with a series number of 1B-J1. what maintenance tips are there to ensure efficient and good heating this winter? Also when the burner fires i can hear the sound of running water in one of the rooms. this is just a single story house with a basement. there are baseboard type radiators in everyroom of the main level and two all together in the basement itself. I am new to this and trying to figure it out. Also the pump seems to be somewhat noisy its directly below the bedroom and the sound alone of the pump would drive me insane if it wasnt for a large box fan in the bedroom. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• A. S. Boiler

Your hydronic system should only need a minimum of service, but the best way to familiarize yourself with the normal operation of your boiler is to find someone who knows what they are doing (see "Find a Professional" above) and have them explain things to you; point at devices and tell you what they are for, etc.

Your American Standard boiler is probably 50 years old? A thing of beauty.  I have a few of them on my route and they are a well designed piece of equipment; not the most efficient animal on the block, though. You will probably get a few technicians that will tell you to get rid of it for something more efficient. It's your call.

As far as the noises you are hearing; it sounds as though someone has installed a pump that is too big.  Can you tell us the model number of the pump?  And if you have a digital camera, take some pictures of your system and post them here so we can get a good look.

All the best,

Alan
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • wrmcq
    wrmcq Member Posts: 2
    American Standard GPH0100

I have a American Standard model GPH-100 furnace. I have the operating instructions and drawings if you would like a copy. Send me your Email address and I will scan them and send you a copy.
  • wrmcq
    wrmcq Member Posts: 2
    American Standard model GPH-100

What would be a good replacement for this furnace that would be fuel  efficient ?

It has been a very reliable furnace for 40 years. I have it in a two story house with the furnace on the first floor in a small furnace room/pantry. The problem we have with it is that the upstairs gets 3-4 degrees more warm than the first floor.

I have been thinking of putting a wireless thermostat on it to better control the heat.
This discussion has been closed.