Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Steam System! (out of necessity)

Options
KatInMass
KatInMass Member Posts: 1
We will soon need to replace the steam heating system in the first floor of our 2-family home (the second floor apartment has a seperate forced hot air system in the attic).  The current steam system has old pipes that have been rusting out.  The system has a replacement boiler (not original) and old owners mucked with the piping to the point that it does not work as designed any longer.  I would love some thoughts on what the easiest and most efficient option for replacement is.  One thing to keep in mind is that this will be a rental unit, so we want something which requires little maintenance.

The basement is unfinished and could accomodate new pipes or ducts.  The apartment is a 2 bedroom with a living room and kitchen (currently heated by 4 steam radiators).

We have heard that we can convert the radiators to hot water, but there would be some extra effort because the steam system is a one pipe system. 

What is the difference in efficiency and maintenance between forced hot water (converted from steam) and forced hot air (or other?)?

Which is quicker/easier to install?

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    1-pipe steam :)

may i suggest that you stick with 1-pipe steam? 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Replacement

If you're on the first floor and the mechanical room is directly below, you can radiantly heat the floors if the underside of the floors are accessible from the basement.

You can also use the steam pipe as a supply for the radiators, but you would then need to install return pipes from the radiators back to the boiler.  The radiators will need to be checked to make sure they are appropriate for hot water, i.e. waterways connected between sections at top and bottom.

Myself?  If the existing steam system is so compromised, I'd replace everything for a brand new system.  There are too many problems dealing with 100 year old pipe and radiators.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Brian_74
    Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
    Options
    I might be misremembering this…

but I thought that in LAOSH, Dan mentions steam heat has still favored in NYC for its anti-vandalism and anti-harm-by-renter abilities.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• PJB177
    PJB177 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Replacement System

You said the house has a replacement system already - do you know how old / efficient this system is?  Are there any real obvious issues with the existing boiler?  Another alternative may be to just have the existing system tuned, and the piping repaired.  You might want to see if you can get any information on the efficiency of the existing system and compare that to what is out there for new steam boilers.  You may find that just fixing the piping is a better option than replacing the whole boiler, especially if the existing boiler has no existing issues other than the piping.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Well where in Mass are you?

Steam is still a viable option as much of the near boiler piping needs to be redone on many systems. Some Steam radiators were never made to work with hot water and if the steam pipes were rotted out the radiators may not like the added pressure of a hot water system( 12 pound per square inch versus under 2 pounds for steam).
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.