Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 pipe steam system to radiant floor

Options
1pipe
1pipe Member Posts: 10
I want to use a flat plate heat exchange on a 1 pipe steam system and use it to heat a small radiant system.  I would feed the steam in the bottom of the exchange and put a standard radiator steam vent at the top of the exchange.  I am worried that the small tubing in the exchange may cause a lot of noise with the condensation running back through the steam. Also I am concerned that there are other problems I have not considered.

Any feed back would be appreciated

Tom

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Why?

You do not need to make steam to make the low temp water used for radiant heating. A good steam pro can hook up the boiler to heat the radiant zone to run off your existing boiler but not that way.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • 1pipe
    1pipe Member Posts: 10
    Options
    1pipe

Charlie

Thanks for the reply

The building is a 12 story , 12 unit apartment building in San Francisco with a central 1 pipe steam system that serves the entire building.  The client wants to remove 3 or 4  one pipe steam radiators and replace them with a radiant heat floor panel system for about 1500 sq feet. of his 4000 sq ft apartment.  They want to do it for architectural design reasons. It's a big high end remodel.

I think the flat plate heat exchanges would work fine if it was a 2 pipe system but I am not sure about a one pipe steam system.  The manufactures of the flat plate heat exchanges are not sure either.  I do not have the luxury of running a dedicated line from the boiler room which is 8 stories down though other units.  If I can replace one the the radiators with a flat plate heat exchanger and  then build a small radiant system using  that flat plate as my heat source  I think I would be in good shape not to mention a genius.  I have installed many radiant heating systems an often use  a Taco tempering valve to dial in my floors that run at different temperatures .

Although these flat plate exchanger are made to work with a 2 pipe system I am just not sure it would work with a 1 pipe system.  I am trying to avoid buying a exchanger and finding out later it does not work.  Hence my question.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.