Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

indirect hot water off steam system.

Options
JM_2
JM_2 Member Posts: 108
I posted a while back about a neighbor who had some work done in their basement, the work included removing asbestos insulation from the mains on his steam heat system.

After the insulation was removed he complained of loud hammer during the heating cycles. (gas fired steam boiler). I told him he had to have the insulation replaced, he did, and all was well.

The question I have is this. When I was looking at his set up I noticed he had one of those large tanks for domestic hot water piped from the condensate. I assume the condensate is treated like a zone, runs through a coil inside this large insulated tank, heating the hot water for the house to use. Why would he do this?

Would it not be cheaper and more reliable to just have a good quality gas hot water tank installed?. It looked to me like the system he has has no bypass set up, so the hot condensate is pumped into the tank at very hot temps.

also the the return condensate is put back into the boiler up high, at the tapping for the skim port. I thought this was a no-no.

I wish I took some pictures.
This discussion has been closed.