Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water baseboard on steam system

JM_2
JM_2 Member Posts: 108
Hello,

A few years back I remember reading, on this website, a great comprehensive article about  a condensate loop for baseboard heating on a steam system.

I cant find the article anymore. I know it was before the redesign of the site, and i think it was in the steam heat FAQ section.

Does anyone have a link to it?

Thanks

Comments

• JM_2
    JM_2 Member Posts: 108
    I knew this would happen

I found the article in the hot water heating section.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    I am sure it's here...

...it's a simple hookup piping a condensation loop , the hardest part is finding the second tap on a older boiler :) .. connect two taps from the bottom of the boiler (no air problems with a drop of water level ) Add a full port boiler bypass with valve to temper water temperature on the low side of the circulator (don't want to break steam in the loop ) ... Add a fresh water feed with a shut off valve to purge the loop either back to the boiler or add a purge valve.. You can connect the feed after the flow check and it will work like a shut off for purging ... I prefer a bearing type circulator rather then a water impedance type for longevity ... The grit chews them up ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Member Posts: 19
    Basement system

I have one pipe steam sized about right for my house.  Radiation is 1250 sq ft and boiler rating is about 1500 sq ft.  I have the system running well at about 2 oz of pressure.

I'm considering adding a water baseboard or water rad in my basement (exercise room that's about 55 degrees in winter).  The rad or baseboard will be significantly lower (at least a foot lower) than the minimum water line in my boiler.

I have read Dan's articles on this, so I'm up to speed.  But since this zone would be under the boiler water level and I'm not looking for any temp control, I'm wandering if I can simplify a bit.

Question - Anyone see a problem with just using gravity and basic thermodynamics to create a loop (without a bypass to cool the water)?  I'd control the flow with a simple ball valve.  Will I have steam flashing?  Remember that the min boiler level will be a foot (or two) above the highest point of this loop.  If this works, I would prefer it to pumps and bypasses.
  • HW Loop off Steam System

There might be something in here that would be of help to you.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.