Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When using a LLH do I need a Spirovent or Wye strainer?

binskibok
binskibok Member Posts: 19
Currently installing a Vitodens 200  in a Cape with 3 zones (copper to runtal, black pipe to convectors)  using Grunfoss alpha with zone valves.  Should a spirovent and wye strainer be a required part of the system layout or is it a duplication of function since Viessmann requires the use  of a  Low Loss Header  which seems to have similar functionality?   I'm looking for the best possible system layout  without  redundancy or added costs.  

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Not Necessarily

Check out the attached LLH's. They do have a sensor port in the them and I like them better than the Viessmann LLH.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    TRVs

Instead of the 3 zone valves why not use the Vitodens the way its meant to operate, with continuous circulationand TRVs.  Especially with the Alpha and the Runtals

The LLH has a manual air vent and by design,  trap the dirt and debris at the bottom of the LLH and can be removed with the drain. 

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • binskibok
    binskibok Member Posts: 19
    Will constant circ work with 1950 type convectors ?

Your mention of constant circ is definately the way to go  but I'm limited to 1950 type convectors on the first floor. Until I convert those to newer radient panels with TRVs I fugured the zone valves were the way to go. Being the homeowner I found that this boiler upgrade project has been quite the learning process for me .  I will talk to the installers for more feedback.  I'm trying to be both green and energy efficient. It seems that I made the right decision by going with Viessmann. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. 
This discussion has been closed.