Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do I clean a mud leg?

Options
arches
arches Member Posts: 52
The mud leg drain port on our boiler (Smith 28A) has a ball valve. When I open it with the boiler off or (carefully) with the boiler on, I get nothing more than a teaspoon of water. I saw reference to blowing down the mud leg by building boiler pressure with a king valve, but unfortunately this boiler setup lacks one.

Is it asking for trouble to try to manually clear the mud leg with a stout wire or metal rod? Backflush with a garden hose (after the boiler has cooled)? The boiler water is quite dirty, and seems to be getting worse. 

There's a drain cock at a low point in the wet return, but I wouldn't be able to drain the boiler below the height of the hoffman loop nipple.

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    nudge

since i have no experience, i'd probably think it's ok to back flush it with a garden hose .. but i'd probably be wrong .. i hope someone has better answer.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    dislodging sediment from boiler

if it were mine i would get a big pan holding several gallons, and place it under the valve outlet. then i would get a long enough piece of stout wire, and try to push it in; being mindful of the width of the sections. i would keep my hands as far away from any rush of hot water as i could; and be ready to pull the wire out quickly, and shut the valve. once the flow was started. once the water is out then you can take off the valve and look inside, to judge how best to rake out the sediment. there may be a temptation to use a high pressure washer, but maybe not with rubber gaskets, only with nipples between the sections.

just be gentle with any probing on any rubber gaskets there may be between the sections. this might be a situation where some boiler cleaner [approved by the mfg.] could be used to boil out/loosen the sludge.

regular "blowing down" of the boiler drain should keep this under control for the future [not to be confused with the LWCO blow down].

don't forget to heat any new water up to the boil, to minimise oxygen infestation!--nbc
  • arches
    arches Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I'll give that a try. It probably doesn't help that this is just a 1/2" valve (reduced down from a 4" fitting). Ideally the clog will just be in the valve body...but things are rarely so easy! More frequent boiler blowdowns will definitely be in order once I get the valve flowing again.
This discussion has been closed.