Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to add gorton #2 ?

Options
How can I add the gigantic gorton #2 to this system?

From the bottom of the coupling, to the ceiling, is 6 inches

the nipple is 4 inches

Is it even possible to get that huge valve on there?
73 year old one pipe system with original American standard boiler, oil fired becket, 2 inch steel pipe main, 100 feet long, with 8 radiators above.

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    i believe

i believe that the gorton #2 measures 6-3/8 .. the recommendation here are firstly to add proper vents .. and it is strongly urged that they be mounted 6" above the pipe the 6" and 15" setback numbers you see are to avoid water from traveling into your vent manifold and slamming into your vents..

you could

1) mount at less than 6" suggestion and include a few more ELs horizontally in order to keep water from shooting into your vent and therefore have about 10" to play with

but also Dan said the other night that a vertical pipe will NEVER hammer .... so

2) mount on the verticle pipe just after your downward elbow assuming that you don't ever expect that water will stack that high. ("Dimension A") .. and have perhaps slightly more room.

in either case, make sure that your vent can drain back into the return.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • steam-rookie
    steam-rookie Member Posts: 128
    Options
    How?

I don't understand the 15 inch set back. I don't think I have that now.

When you say "mount on the vertical pipe just after your downward elbow"

Do you mean drill a new hole?

Maybe I should remove some of that cement/plaster ceiling. That would put the vent up in between two joist's. Is that a good idea?

Maybe I should just put four # 1 gortons on a menorah.
    73 year old one pipe system with original American standard boiler, oil fired becket, 2 inch steel pipe main, 100 feet long, with 8 radiators above.
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    oh sorry .. to clairfy

the recommendations seem to be 6" above the pipe and 15" back from the end of the pipe .. no you don't have that now ..

mount on vertical .. yes .. drill a new hole ..

there should be little problem going up between joists .. after all all that's expected out of it is air.

you can do 4pcs G#1 if you like .. nothing wrong with that. in fac tyou can start with 3pcs and add more if you like ..

have you actually done a calculation to determine how many you need? post your main's length and diameter and someone should be able to help you.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • jim_72
    jim_72 Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2010
    Options
    vent

Two options one is the easy messy route. Cut a hole above vent in ceiling,just large enough to fit the #2, and be done with it.Option two- If you are reasonably handy remove the existing  4" nipple ,but be careful here, with a good monkey winch and some applied heat if needed it should come out but go slow. Once removed you can add a short vertical nipple  and make up a arrangement  with either one or two #2 depending on the size of your main like the one pictured here from Gerry Gills site. The nipple / tee / vent  config that exits out of the elbow to the left can be made up separately and then attached to the elbow. Good Luck Jim
  • steam-rookie
    steam-rookie Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Adding vents

I could try to remove the 4 inch nipple. I could replace it with a 2 or 3 inch.

That would give me the clearance for the giant #2 gorton

I would rather maintain the 6 inch height above that elbow. I am worried that the 2 inch nipple would cause problems with the VERY expensive and non returnable vent.

I also have a feeling that there is asbestos in that cement ceiling. I really don't want to have to cut it.

Looks like I will be going with the menorah arraignment at the current 6 inch height. I will try four normal size main vents. two on each side of the menorah.
This discussion has been closed.