Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"old"oil

Hollis
Hollis Member Posts: 105
I have a building that has two tanks that we usually switch over every year. Haven't done it for maybe five years and wondering if the oil is still good or if anything special needs to be done with it,..I believe we put in an additive called TANKGUARD  and ran it for days before we switched it,..I also recall putting in another dose a few years ago and taking off the screw cap and using a long clean stick,..swirled it around for a while. Anything should be done before switching it back?

Also is it true or a rumor that the red dye that they add in recent years also happens to be a bit of a solvent helping to keep oil lines/tank/nozzles cleaner longer?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Not Sure....

... About that additive you added , but the oil we receive in resent years starts breaking down in 6 months.... I can tell by the smell if it's bad or not . The red dye does nothing but help spot tax cheats .....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    I have seen 2+ yr. old..

oil be used w/o any issues. The only thing added to the 200+ gallons was 2 bottles of 4 in 1 Hot.... Oil bacteria could be a problem.... How much oil are we talking about?
  • Hollis
    Hollis Member Posts: 105
    ?

Its about 250 gal. What happens if its "bad" or bacteria contaminated? Can it be burned with some sludge remover?
This discussion has been closed.